A mattress topper is used on top of the mattress which helps in adding loft. Mattress toppers can help to reduce the barrier by absorbing moisture between the person sleeping and the mattress. It can also be able to remove building up the heat that is between mattress surface and the person sleeping. In addition, it can be easily removed and cleaned.
Sometimes instead of buying a mattress topper it can be fun to get creative. When one wants to make a mattress topper all they require is the sewing skills and a few tools. As a beginner, you will be able to gain confidence if you have the sewing expertise.
Here are the things that you will need when making a mattress topper:
- Tape measure
- Lightweight fabric
- Quilted fabric
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine
- Elastic that is a quarter inch
- Large safety pin
You will use the procedure below:
- Take a tape measure and start by measuring mattress on the top side. When considering the width, measure the mattress as a distance that is from one side ending to the other side. The length of the mattress is the distance from where the head lies to the bottom where the foot lies.
- Go to the dealer shop and purchase a fabric that is pre-quilted which should be as wide as your mattress and at least additional of 1 inch. An example is like, if the mattress top you are having is 60 inches wider, purchase a topper fabric that is at least 61 inches wide so that you can avoid seams on the surface that you sleep on
- After getting the fabric, then cut it one piece at least using mattress top size with 1 inch on top. You can use the scissors to cut the fabric material
- The next step is to measure mattress depth. Take the scissors and cut strips of the lightweight fabric having similar length with the mattress depth and addition of 5 inches. Ensure that you cut enough stripes such that when they are joined together, they end up being equal to the length of mattress perimeter plus 1 inch on top. An example is where the mattress might be 60 inches wide, 14 inches deeper and 75 inches longer. The perimeter will be 270 inches. When you use a fabric that is 60 inches wide and then allows 1 inch for the seam. Use the scissors and cut 19 inches stripe wider with a total of five and then seam all of them together. After that then cut the finished seem 270 inches which are required and add 1 inch on top for seam allowance. Join the ends so that you can create a continuous strip.
- You can now zigzag or serge the strip’s one long edge. Turn the edge an inch on the wrong side then press. You can now stitch closer to the finished edge and that will be creating edge casing. You can now leave at least 1 inch open for elastic insertion on the seam side.
- You should then pin the remaining mattress topper edge along the perimeter edge and sew around the perimeter. You should leave 1/2 inch around the perimeter for seam allowance. You can now finish by zigzagging and serging with the seam.
- You can now cut 1/4 inch piece that is elastic and make it equal length half of the mattress measured perimeter. For example, cut 135 inches long piece. Take a large safety pin and Fasten towards the end of elastic and then thread it into casing edge that is around the perimeter. You should exit at the open side. Sew now the ends together of elastic and evenly adjust gathers around in the casing. You can now end up sewing the 1 inch that is opening and makes it closed.
- Its time to complete the project by positioning the topper on your mattress and the slip the edge that is gathered under the mattress.